Commitment and Respect
- Honor your commitment to serve with your Community Partner
- Be respectful of your supervisor’s time
- Respect the lessons learned while serving
Listen and Learn
- Do not expect to be taught
- Listen with the intent of learning, not responding
- The community has more to teach you, then you have to teach them
- Learn from local expertise, knowledge, and experiences
Serve to help, not harm
- Understand your power and know when to use it. Support local endeavors, but do not take the spotlight.
- Own your impact. Expect to be held accountable for your actions. Welcome criticism. Acknowledge and apologize for harmful actions.
- Change your actions. It’s not enough to apologize and acknowledge your wrong-doings, you have to change your future behavior