Thanks to the generous support of Ferguson Enterprises, the Center for Community Engagement awards up to 10 Ferguson Fellowships of $1,500 to students interested in pursuing community-engaged projects that are responsive to community concerns and priorities.
For more information, contact Jessie Deal, Director of Ferguson Fellowship Program at email@example.com. The 2023 Ferguson Fellowship application is now closed.
Students awarded a Ferguson Fellowship are expected to:
- Research a community concern or issue of significance;
- Collaborate with a community partner and faculty mentor to design a plan of action that addresses the community’s concern;
- Implement the plan alongside community partner and faculty mentor; and
- Participate in the CNU Ferguson Fellowship Symposium (held at the end of the Spring semester)
All full-time students at Christopher Newport University are eligible to apply. Projects should address a real community concern and offer an innovative, feasible, and well-researched solution to that need. Although most projects will be local, proposals with a national or global scope will also be considered.
What makes a successful Ferguson Fellowship Proposal?
Successful proposals must include the following:
- A community partner, who agrees to collaborate with the student on the project
- A faculty mentor, who agrees to provide support, resources, and guidance
- A complete application form, with a clear description of how the project will continue beyond the initial funding provided through the fellowship
What does a Ferguson Fellowship Stipend entail?
Ferguson Fellowships applications must name the student applicant, a community partner, and a faculty mentor. Each member of this collaborative team will receive a stipend for participating in the program.
- Students receive a $1,500 stipend to research and execute their project,
- Community partners receive a $500 stipend for project collaboration and mentorship,
- Faculty mentors receive a $500 stipend for project mentorship.
- Funding is available for up to $500 for project implementation expenses, including the cost of supplies, travel, fees, services (printing, building rental, etc.). Larger amounts will be awarded on a case-by-case basis. Please clearly indicate project expenses in the budget section of the application.